Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Life Lesson # 244 {affection}

Children are so giving of affection. My own son, and the 24 children in my classroom family everyday.  In Ian's case some days more than others, but never-the-less always giving. I know Mr. and I both relish at the the moments Ian meets us at the door with hugs and kisses. I also relish at the moments my students hug me, ask for a hug, high five, and tell me, "your the best".  Ian's words, "luv you" are music to my ears. After the realization of this, I  have paid a little more attention.


I was amazed at how many times a day Ian showed some sort of affection to me, without my initiating it. From crawling up on my lap, to walking over and planting a slobbery kiss on my face.

I even recognized how Mr. and I use affection to help him feel better when he is upset, or to reinforce a particular rule.   We also use it when giving praise. I do this in both my personal life, and my professional life.

So I learned...

1. It is important to give affection to our kids. They thrive on it, and it helps them feel secure. It also teaches them to show affection.

2. After watching how Ian can so easily show affection to other people outside our immediate family. Most importantly how he gives it so freely. It reminded me of how I should be doing that in my own life. Kids don’t think before they hug someone. I, on the other hand question myself. Should I hug my dear friend, should I not. Is it okay to pat them on the back for a job well done?
 
After taking cues from Ian, and my loving students, I realized how important it is to show more affection.  Not only to my immediate family, but to other loved ones as well. I hope Ian continues to carry affection with him throughout his life, and I hope I instill in my class a sense of affection.
 
Have you shown affection today?
 

3 comments:

  1. hi melissa!

    you won the giveaway on my blog yesterday! but the email address you entered got bounced back...can you please email me so we can get you your winnings! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post!! affection is a must:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from MBC, I'm following you now and look forward to reading more!

    http://serveinlove.net

    ReplyDelete